The Spray Test is a simple method to determine the resistance of any fabric, which may or may not have been given a water-resistant or water-repellent finish, to surface wetting by water. It is not intended to predict waterproofness, since it does not measure the penetration of water through fabric.
The instrument complies with the following standards:
- EN 24920 – Textiles. Determination of resistance to surface wetting (spray test) of fabrics
- ISO 4920 – Textiles fabrics – Determination of resistance to surface wetting (spray test)
- AATCC 22 – Water Repellency: Spray Test
- Marks & Spencer P23 – Spray Rating
- Other local standards may apply
A PDF version of this FAQ is available for reference.